Blog Post #2 EDCI 338

What is digital identity?

Photo by Drew Dizzy Graham on Unsplash

From my understanding, digital identity refers to any personal information presented online. For example, photos, email addresses, posts, comments, etc. With just a click of a name, people can easily assume one’s life based on digital footprints. Digital identity is extremely important and taking advantage of it means success. As mentioned in the readings, digital identity can also interfere with a professional image.

How do you present yourself on social media platforms for personal use? What kind of content do you share, and how do you manage your privacy?

Social media platforms are addictive and I cannot imagine a life without them. I rarely post pictures of myself online because I don’t like being flashy. When I do, I post images of my daily life within my friend groups. Most of my online profiles are set private and occasionally I use pseudo names to hide my identity. Even when I was setting up this website, I thought about whether or not to use my real name or post a picture of myself. Eventually, I made this website public because I knew there is nothing to lose here. There’s a lot of thought process going on and I genuinely do not want to be a target out there.

What steps do you take to maintain a professional image online?

Before I post anything, I always think of the consequences. No, I do not suffer from persecutory delusions. I was very shocked when I found a website called Pimeyes. With just a photo, the website can easily find one’s past. Even when I was setting up this website, I thought about whether I should use my real name or post a picture of myself. Eventually, I made this website public because I knew there was nothing to lose here. There’s a lot of thought process here and I am generally trying to keep myself out of risk.

How do personal versus professional approaches to digital identity affect social media use?

The way people approach their digital identity, whether personal or professional, greatly affects their social media use. Personal users typically share daily moments and maintain casual interactions with friends and family through Discord or Instagram. On the other hand, professional users showcase their expertise and career achievements by LinkedIn and Twitter. They focus on networking and maintaining a polished online presence to enhance their professional image and career opportunities. It’s like hitting a switch and knowing when to post stuff.

Reflect on the challenges and benefits of maintaining personal and professional digital identities. How do you ensure they complement rather than conflict with one another? Provide examples from your own experiences.

The challenging side of digital identities could be privacy concerns because putting too much real-life information can be dangerous. However, they can also be used to expand networks and make friends. I distinguish personal and professional digital identities very well. For example, I use multiple email accounts and the ones I use are very casual. I try to make my account as fake as possible so others think I am a bot.

Looking ahead, how do you plan to manage your digital identity as social media continues to evolve? What steps will you take to adapt to new platforms and trends while maintaining a consistent and positive digital presence?

Photo by dole777 on Unsplash

I think I will take advantage of my current digital identity and build my profile. First, I need to distinguish what is personal and professional. Then, I plan to separate my identities and make them for their purposes. Social media will get more advanced so I am ready for them to evolve anytime. WordPress is just a professional simulation and I plan to build my network here.

« »