Hi everyone! 

My name is Marco Chong, and I am a fourth-year sociology undergraduate student with an education minor. I joined UVic during the COVID 19 pandemic and initially majored in computer science. I originally chose computer science because I had no clear direction for my future, and following my sister’s career path seemed like the safest option. However, I soon realized that I was not interested in programming. After exploring various courses, I discovered my passion for sociology, which has opened my eyes to many of the world’s problems. Last fall, I took EDUC 100 and discovered that many of my peers were pursuing an education minor alongside their sociology or psychology degrees. To my surprise, I had already completed half the requirements for an education minor because I had taken numerous art education courses as electives. My word of advice is choose something that interests you the most in your education journey because you will learn more in the process. 

In this digital world, social media and personalized learning have become irreplaceable. Not only does it connect with people from different parts of the world, it can help us share vital information. Almost everyone uses social media but I am particularly interested in how it may be harmful to society. At the same time, I want to start promoting and sharing my thoughts. 

I use digital tools in my learning and professional life for example

1. Brightspace for discussion and assignments
  2. Zoom for meetings
  3. Notability for note taking

To me, I think digital literacy means taking advantage of the current digital world and using technology ethically, legally, and safely. In this everchanging ai world, technology is unavoidable. Therefore, I am willing to learn and adapt anytime. EDCI 338 seems to be promising and I have heard good comments about the course. 

I have some non academic experience with Personal Learning Networks (PLNs), primarily through social media platforms such as Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, and Linkedin. However, I am aware of digital footprint so I mostly post content within the friends circle. Occasionally I browse different topics to ensure I keep updated.. I aim to expand my network by connecting with others who share my interests. I will actively participate in online discussions and let people see the other side of me. I hope this will benefit my educational journey as well as the professional setting. 

I am excited to be a part of this summer course and look forward to engaging with all of you. Let’s make the most of this experience and support each other along the way. Cheers!