Using Your PLN for Growth

Photo by Brett Jordan on Unsplash

Personal Learning Network (PLN) has become an integral part of my professional growth and learning journey. Among various platforms, Reddit and LinkedIn are the most engaging and easily accessible for me. I find myself using Reddit the most. I follow the subreddit r/humanresources and always stumble upon posts relating to that subreddit. It’s always unintentional and I like it this way. I always follow daily viral posts shared by individuals claiming to be industry leaders. Occasionally, these posts provide insights into real-world situations. These valuable resources help me understand the darker, unspoken aspects of the field. Last week, I shared my thoughts about Reddit and LinkedIn. My preference for Reddit did not change because LinkedIn feels like a place to showcase one’s achievements and experiences. Reddit is more realistic and I find them informative and authentic.

Engaging with Your Community:

Photo by Vonecia Carswell on Unsplash

I try to answer questions for others online whenever I can. Although I am always the observer, I think keeping the community active is my duty. Honestly, I think I should begin initiating discussions. There is nothing to lose because, in the end, I benefit from these conversations. It makes me more confident and I believe this kind of interaction can benefit everyone. In that way, it will help people who are interested in getting into the industry. I might not be in the industry yet but I am truly interested in it.

Building a Supportive PLN:

Photo by Shane Rounce on Unsplash

I never express negative emotions to people I barely know online. These subreddits were created for a reason and that is to support each other. No one should be discriminated against or violated. Occasionally, I see people with similar academic profiles trying to get into the industry. I try to slide into their DM’s and comment on their posts. I want to connect with people whose interests are identical to mine. In this process, I feel less lonely and anxious about the future. In the human resources industry, I feel like connections are vital because that is part of the job.

Expanding Your PLN:

Photo by Belle Maluf on Unsplash

My long-term goal for PLN is to constantly stay updated and see the industry trends. I feel like this career can be irreplaceable even with the danger of AI. This is the most basic form of interaction and this can be irreplaceable.

To my peers, congratulations on completing the blog assignments. I look forward to seeing your posts and hope we will continue supporting each other in other communities. Cheers.