Blog Post #3 EDCI 338

Research on Social Media and Learning Communities:

Recently, I got a ragdoll kitten and I have been browsing numerous subreddits. As a new cat dad, I am learning various methods to keep my cat healthy. r/CatAdvice from Reddit is probably my favorite right now because it provides all the resources and answers to questions. For example, I need to know whether I feed the cat enough and identify potential red flags in commercialized cat food. This subreddit offers valuable information about all life stages of a cat. Another learning community I enjoyed is Cats.com, which reviews cat food and cat litter. I find the website quite trustworthy because they do not sell advertisements and they have done a lot of lab reviews. Most importantly, there are comment sections on every page, allowing for interaction with other users.

Picture of my cat. His name is Cena because my last name is Chong, which makes him Chong Cena.

Building Your Personal Learning Network (PLN):

Photo by Shubham Dhage on Unsplash

I plan to use Reddit and LinkedIn to build my personal learning network. Reddit has a lot of subreddit for any type of education and I plan to use all those resources to build my future pathway. Lately, I have been thinking of upgrading myself after I graduate. Meanwhile, I will also use LinkedIn for networking and communicating with others. Looking at others’ profile make me feel like I am not the only person.

Setting Professional Goals and Engaging with the Community: 

For setting up career goals, I try to find topics related to my field. Sometimes, I search others’ profiles through LinkedIn to see how they obtained relevant job experiences. LinkedIn is a good example of browsing industry insights. I plan to ask questions about the field I want to get into and learn whether I am suitable for the job I want. Sometimes I feel like it’s weird to ask questions in my field because I am technically not there yet. However, I believe I will achieve it one day because of the support from the community. I feel like there are a lot of helpful resources online.

Protecting Your Information and Ensuring Ethical Behaviour:

Photo by Leon Seibert on Unsplash

I protect my information with two-factor authentication such as D2L Brightspace, Ubisoft connect, and Steam Guard. I try to use different passwords for every account. Therefore, it is harder for others to steal my information. Most importantly, if it is for creating a nonacademic or government account, I put down fake information. Other than that, I usually report any ethical violations to keep the community safe.

Privacy Concerns and Online Participation: 

Most of the information I put online are not that important. Therefore, I am more scared of other academic or government documents being leaked. I do have some privacy concerns over the years but I kind of coped with it.

1. I will mostly use pseudonyms whenever I want to hide my identity
  2. Setting most of my profiles private and allow close ones to see my posts.
« »